England may have introduced cricket to the rest of the globe, but India is the home of this sport. Hello everyone, this time Statusbyzz has compiled a list of the top 25 fun facts about IPL That you probably didn’t know. With just IPL 2023 around the corner, we bring some fun facts about IPL.
Cricket is a religion in India and its biggest festival is IPL (Indian Premier League). IPL has already completed 14 successful years, and this time we are in its 15th edition. The league was started in the year 2008 and it is now the biggest cricketing league in the world due to its thrilling matches and love among the players.
Being the most prestigious cricket league in the world, IPL has changed the lives of many youngsters. IPL provided them with such a platform where they could show their talent and skills.
Sanju Samson, KL Rahul, Umran Malik, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Ravi Bishnoi, and many many more others – the list of talented and gifted Indian Cricketers goes on and on.
This is why, we are bringing to you, these amazing fun facts about IPL which you may or may not have heard of. They include some really surprising facts that will shock you too!
So without wasting any time, let’s get started with these amazing fun facts about IPL.
Top Fun Facts About IPL (Indian Premier League) :
Here is an amazing collection of the top 25 fun facts about IPL that you may enjoy and share with cricket lovers. Please know that these records are recorded as of February 2022 data.
- Rajasthan Royals paid a whopping amount for Chris Morris of 16.25 crores, making him the most expensive player in IPL history.
- Did you know who was the first Indian to score a century in IPL? No Virat Kohli, No Rohit Sharma, no Suresh Raina, but he was Manish Pandey that scored the first century in the IPL as an Indian.
- Did you know who took the first wicket in IPL? Yes, his name is – Zaheer Khan
- Chennai Super Kings is the only team in the IPL who has not changed their captain till now.
- Virat Kohli is the leading run-scorer in IPL with 6283 runs.
- Did you know Shikhar Dhawan holds the record for most boundaries in IPL with 778 boundaries? Well, now you do!
- David Warner has won the orange cap three times(2015, 2017, and 2019).
- Lasith Malinga tops the tally of wicket-takers in the history of IPL with 170 wickets.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore holds the record for the highest number of runs scored in innings (263-5) against Pune warriors as well as the lowest number of runs scored by a team in an inning (49) against KKR.
- The record for most 50s in IPL is with David Warner with (50 Fifties).
- The fastest delivery in the history of IPL is delivered by Anrich Nortje at a pace of 156.22 km/h.
- Brad Hogg is the oldest player to have participated in the IPL.
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar is the only player to win two consecutive purple caps in the year 2016 and 2017.
- Guess who has the most number of catches in IPL? Yes, you guessed it right, Suresh Raina has taken the most number of catches (109 catches).
- Amit Mishra holds the record for the most hat tricks in IPL. He has taken 3 hat-tricks, the most by any bowler in the history of IPL.
- KL Rahul has smashed the fastest fifty in just 14 balls against Delhi Capitals.
- Aaron Finch has represented 8 IPL franchises till now and he will be representing KKR as his 9th IPL franchise. This is the most number of teams any single player has played for.
- The worst IPL spell till now is from Basil Thampi (4 overs: 70 runs).
- Chris Gayle, also known as The Universe boss, holds the record of most centuries in IPL (6 centuries).
- The longest IPL six is smashed by Albie Morkel. He hit a mosterous six of 124 meters in 2008.
- In 2010, the IPL committee televised live IPL matches on Youtube.
- Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals were given a two-year suspension in 2016 & 2017. If you didn’t know why read the case story here.
- The first ever Super Over in the history of IPL took place in the year 2009 between KKR and RR.
- Mr. 360, AB De Villiers of South Africa has won the most Man Of The Matches award (25) in the history of IPL.
Fun Facts About IPL
- Yusuf Pathan was the first cricketer in IPL who was given out for obstructing the field. Bet you didn’t know that right?
So there you have it: the top 25 fun facts about the IPL. This was just a snapshot of how cool this league really is! The batters, the bowlers, the crowd, and the energy is just unmatched!
We really hope you liked the blog. If you found this information useful and interesting, please share it with your friends and family.
We sincerely appreciate your sticking around to the end of the blog.